The Mount Clemens Gem & Lapidary Society has been in existence since 1969. Our purpose is to educate the general public about the lapidary arts and earth sciences.
We have openings for several Board positions.
Don’t forget we have changed the day of the meetings to Wednesday starting at 6:30 for the board meeting and 7:00 for the membership meeting. NEXT MEETING IS Wednesday, Mar 1 at 6:30 for board meeting with membership meeting starting shortly after. The location is Mt. Clemens Public Library, 150 Cass Ave, Mt Clemens, MI 48043, North side between Mack Ave and Miller St. to the clubhouse.
We have signed a 1 year lease for a space located at1404 S. Gratiot Ave. at Esplanade. There are 2 entrances, we are the one on the side of the building. The windows are frosted with another companies logo and info. An ‘MCGLS’ sign will be in the door window. The space is small but will allow us to host classes and workshops. Our goal will be to have the classes support the rent and allow us to maybe move into a larger area later. Time will tell. We will try to be operative as soon as possible. Hopefully we will be able to do faceting, cabochon grinding, beading, wire wrapping and other aspect of our hobbies starting March 1.
Our classes are our survival. All instructors give freely of their time to help students learn the lapidary arts. Materials and tools (for use) are provided by the instructor. Money collected is used to pay for the building. (Material fee is payed to the instructor). You do not need to be a member to attend classes. Class times & costs are:
- Beading – Monday evening, 5-9 pm. Cost $5.00. anyone can attend. Bring your needles, thread, beads and anything else you want to work on.
- Faceting – Tuesday evening, 5-9 pm. Cost $75.00 for 5 cutting nights paid in advance after which, if you aren’t finished the cost is $15.00 per night. 1st night is free choosing rough, (.18 per carat), talking about topic. Limit 4 people.
- Cabochon – Wednesday. Workshop is 1 pm to 5 pm. Cost is $15.00. (may stay longer for additional $2.00 per hour if no class is scheduled). Bring eye and breathing protection if you have them.
- Cabochon Class – Wednesday, 6 pm to 9 pm. Cost is $75.00 for 5 nights. Wear old clothes. Bring eye and breathing protection if you have them. Limit 4 people.
- Wire wrapping – Class will be on Sunday from 1 pm to 5 (?)pm. Cost is $50.00. Learn the basics about wire, tools used and how to wrap stones and cabochons. All tools provided for your use. We will use copper wire. Materials fee of $15.00 payable to instructor at start of class. Limit 4 people.
- If you are interested in any of the classes please call me at 586-747-0689 and leave a message or email at email@example.com, subject Classes. I will not return calls if there is no message.
Science Olympiad is scheduled.
- February 3 – 5 pm to 7:30
- February 14 – 6 pm to 7:30
- February 21 – 6 pm to 7:30
- March 1 – 6 pm to 7:30
- Location – MISD, 44001 Garfield Rd., Clinton Twp. MI 48038. To attend the class only is $5.00. Metamorphic Rock Kit (5 items) $10.00, Complete Rock Kit (15 items) $20.00. Class cost is included with Kits. Registration begins 2-3-2017 at 5:15 pm.
- All went well. Best year ever. No help is needed for the remaining evening classes. You can audit the class but Kits are not available.
MEMBERSHIP INFO:Individual $25.00 (changed, initiation fees no longer apply)
Family consists of 1 or 2 parents with a child under 18.
Make checks payable to MCGLS. Forms will be available at the meetings and at the clubhouse at a later date.
If renewing please include a short note with your Name, Address, Tel #’s and email address so we can keep our records up to date.
Send payment to:
c/o Ken Kreskowiak
23159 Scotch Pine Ln
Macomb MI 48042
Any questions – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org subject: membership or call 586-747-0689 and leave a message. I will return all message calls only.
NOTE: Don’t forget to visit this website from time to time. We also have a Facebook page at Mt. Clemens Gem and Lapidary Society. We will be posting information to both sites.
Last update: Feb 16, 2017